Understanding hypertension patient needs for Merck Serono
Merck Serono is a pharmaceutical company which plans to develop services for patients in the therapy area of hypertension. To guarantee the relevance & success of services, Merck Serono wanted to get grip on the patient lifestyle & behaviour and on the actual needs of this important stakeholder.
What did we do?
A Consumer Consulting Board (also known as online research community) proved to be the ideal method for answering these client needs:
- 10 days of patient blog research: individual connection in diary style to experience the patient life through pictures & posts.
- 3 days of crowd interpretation where patients interpreted each other’s input.
- 1 week of true community interaction to build on generated ideas & unravel drivers/barriers.
As the GP is a crucial stakeholder for Merck Serono in the communication & recommendation of services, we also asked feedback from a selection of physicians about the patient-generated services through online discussion groups.
We learned that patients are very enthusiastic about the research method and that the number of adverse events encountered is very limited. What were the deliverables for the client?
- 1717 posts (total of blog/crowd interpretation/community)
- Interactive health consumer dashboard with over 250 pictures tagged for interactive analysis
- 7 (unmet) needs and frictions across the patient journey
- 6 service concept solutions
How did the client experience it?
“This methodology helps us to truly understand patient needs. The active involvement of the participants generated a lot of valuable insights, which were validated afterwards by physicians.”
Nico Smets, Business Unit Director Fertility, Endocrinology, CardioMetabolic Care, General Medicine & e-Marketing at Merck Serono